by Ann Renström


In 1879 a company, that intended to build a house for Hotel and theatre business, was founded in Nyland. The house was not built however, but remained half finished until the Botea Court took over the building. While waiting for someone to claim the house, the women of Nyland dried their laundry in the many empty rooms.

Since the 1820's Nyland had its own pilot station, located on the same property. The pilot cabin, which was built next to the mountain slope, was unfortunately destroyed in the big fire 1888. A new cabin was built up and is now own by Ytterlannas Folklore Society. It is used and taken care of by the Nylandsgruppen within the association.

The blueprints for the contemplated reconstruction from hotel to Courthouse is dated to 1911 and are made by the architect Folke Zetterwall, son of the one of the most famous architects of the 19th century, Helge Zetterwall. Folke Zetterwall has drawn several station buildings. He was also the man behind the remarkable Courthouse in Solleftea in 1906, characterized by national romantics and Old Norse

The Courthouse in Nyland, an imposing plastered building with a skeleton of lumber, worthy the flowering trading- and shipping society. The main front was built symmetric around the entrance and
the three large windows of the court hall. The magnificent court hall was the center of the building, where many sinners have stood with trembling hearts. The roof was a cassette roof.
The house also contained living quarters for the maintenance and on the second floor where eight rooms for jurymen staying the night.


1938-40 a major reconstruction was made that completely changed and tightened the outside of the house. Architect was Erik Hogstrom.
The wings was removed, the torn up roof was replaced with a roof with four simple slopes in four directions. Parts of the top floor were moved up. The grand emblem over the entrance was removed and the six
square lights with a Russian stile cupola were replaced with a foursquare clock tower. The house took a more functional stile from the earlier new baroque or national Romantic building.

Parquet floor and concave, oiled, wainscot on the walls, which helps the fine acoustics of the hall. The roof is rabiz-roof, free carrying net- reinforced plaster, with a light ramp. From the bay window in the corridor outside the hall, is a wonderful view over Ångermanälven.

Boteå district court moved in to the house in 1920 and remained in nearly sixty years, though with some changes in the court law, before it moved to Sollefteå. After 1970 the house has had several owners. It has even existed plans of tearing it down! Lucky it was not, or else Nyland and Ådalen had been a landmark shorter.

In 2000 something happened that gave echoes in the cultural life of Mid-Sweden! The house was bought by Courthouse Music!

2005/2006 the Courthouse was renovated by Courthouse Music and the County Adminitstrative Board under the supervision of Leif Markström. This is the most important improvement of the house since 1938.

(Translated by Per Andersson)